Epicor Software have counted at least 9 reasons why “homegrown” system can be dangerous for a business in a long term.
1. Vulnerability and Isolation of Knowledge
2. Immediacy and Breadth of Data
3. Data Duplication and Discrepancies
4. Lack of Testing
5. Lack of Vision/New Advances
6. Shortcomings in Systems Architecture that Lead to Workarounds and Patches Based on “Tribal Knowledge”
7. Maintaining Your Homegrown Solution May be Costlier Than You Think
8. No Built-in Learning Management System to Maximize Employee Adoption and Utilization
9. Lack of Ability to Easily Integrate with Other Leading Technology Solutions
Read full White Paper here.